NA-User

[na-user] Problem with country list R1ANF/A

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Problem with country list R1ANF/A
From: k8cc" <k8cc@mediaone.net (k8cc)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 00:56:40 -0500
WD4AHZ and others have posted problems with the scoring of R1ANF.  This is
indeed a strange problem.

First, NA strips off the "/A" for scoring purposes.  Many of the Europeans
(particularly in Great Britain, it seems) use this similar to the "/P" to
indicate portable.  Its unfortunate that R1ANF chose this suffix, but
perhaps he felt he needed it to indicate he was in Antarctica rather than
South Shetlands, where the AD1C country table indicates him to be.

The other confusing factor is that the AD1C country table (at least the one
on my laptop) also has an entry of "R1AN" for Antarctica.  Therefore, if you
put "R1ANF/A" in the country table, and NA strips off the "/A", the program
is looking for "R1ANF" but finds no match.  However, since the first four
characters of "R1ANF" are "R1AN", the program scores it as Antarctica.

I got lost during the discussion of where we think he really was for the
contest.  If you log him as R1ANF/A (which is what he was signing), either
remove the "R1ANF" entry under S. Shetlands or add "R1ANF" under Antarctica
and the entry will be scored correctly.

This may all be a moot point.  The CQWW checkers only really use your log
data for checking, and completely rescore your log using the computer.  In
fact, the new Cabrillo format does not include claimed mult data, so this
exercise is primarily for your own edification.

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering
datom@contesting.com
http://www.contesting.com/datom