NA-User

[na-user] Mapping those funny WIN95 keys

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Mapping those funny WIN95 keys
From: k8cc <k8cc@mediaone.net> (k8cc)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:24:56 -0400
At 03:29 AM 7/22/00 -0400, Rich Dailey, KA8OKH wrote:

>Is there any way to get NA (or DOS, for that matter) to
>pick up on the extra 95/98 keys on the newer keyboards?
>
>Rich

There are two issues.

First, the BIOS in your computer must be designed to receive these
characters from the keyboard.  The BIOS ("basic input/output system") is
software located on the computer's motherboard which does the most basic,
low-level tasks that allow the computer to function.  Older computers, with
BIOSes which pre-date these newer keyboards, don't recognize the new keys.

Second, NA is not designed to work with these new keys.  However, if the
BIOS cooperates, it *should* be possible to re-map NA functions to these
new keys using the KEYMAP feature in NA.  Note: I have not tried this.

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering
datom@contesting.com
http://datom.contesting.com