NA-User

[na-user] Re: [CQ-Contest] so2r switch box

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Re: [CQ-Contest] so2r switch box
From: Greg Clark <g.w.clark@Cummins.com> (Greg Clark)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 08:11:30 -0500
I'll try this a second time to see if it makes it.

I took a look at the WX0B box at Dayton.  Jay had a prototype and we
talked about it at length.  It will be a nice addition but it will not
be a cheap addition.  At Dayton Jay thougt it would be at least around
the $125 mark....probably higher due to the amount and type of
connectors being used.  So for us frugal types...it's not going to be a
$20 solution.

As for the Writelog box....yes it can be used as a SO2R "brain" but it's
main purpose is to provide a pristine source of CW for those that use
Writelog and it's OS, Windows.  Writelog sometimes sends choppy CW.
This is caused by conflicts between drivers that are scanning the CW
sending ports and interrupting the CW.  The outboard Writelog card takes
the CW sending task  away from the PC and places it in the hands of a
pre-programmed chip..68hc705p..I think, on the card.  The bare card plus
the 705p is about $45, it takes another $40 worth of parts to complete
the board if you buy them new.

Now - For the NA SO2R box - I have one suggestion that I have added to
my own version of what is in the NA manual.  Add a 3 position toggle
that allows the user to select:

pos 1 = Radio 1 only
pos 2 = PC Control (NA)
pos 3 = Radio 2 only

This gives the user a means to by-pass the PC control of NA and allows
the user to select which radio they would rather use.  This has been a
handy addition to my SO2R box at home.

I'm glad to see this spooling up again Dave.

Greg
K9IG