NA-User

[na-user] Re: K5K

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Re: K5K
From: Ron Wetjen <wd4ahz@gte.net> (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 03:37:11 +0000
k8cc wrote:

> I don't know how else to do it.  These calls (K4M/Midway and
> K5K/Kingman) are strictly speaking not legit calls for their islands.
> True, the FCC permits their use by issuing them, but so what?  Next
> year K5K could be a commemorating a rodeo in Oklahoma!
>
> I just wish the FCC would issue calls like KH4M or KH5K and be done
> with it!

AMEN to that!

All this extra work for Dave and Jim and for what?  One weekend that K5K
will possibly be on for CQWW.  Here's a thought ... don't work 'em ...
we thought they were a US station!  That would solve the countries list
problem (go back to the previous version) and maybe the next bunch won't
use a "cute" call for their DXpedition.

By the way, the ARRL issued that callsign, despite what the FCC rules
say is the "legal" callsign for Kingman Reef, that the "Official" DXCC
prefix for Kingman Reef is KH5K (according to the DXCC Countries list),
the DXCC Rules regarding "portable" callsigns, and the criteria for a
1X1 says it's NOT to be issued to have a short call for a normal radio
operating event or contest, but rather for a "publicly significant"
(festival, public demonstration, etc.) event.

Go figure.

73, Ron

--
One of the W1AW/4 Crew - IARU/WRTC-2000