NA-User

[na-user] Crash

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Crash
From: k8cc <k8cc@mediaone.net> (k8cc)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:14:40 -0500
At 07:23 PM 1/22/01 -0600, Robert R. Pack wrote:

>I did not operate NAQP this past weekend seriously but I did encounter a
>strange problem in the couple of hours I search and pounced late.
>
>I am using v10.52.
>
>When I entered my first VE callsign, as soon as I typed the "E", the
>program crashed.  I kept trying to enter the call and it kept crashing.
>I finally entered the callsign as VA and logged the qso.  Up arrowed and
>changed the VA to VE and it was fine.
>
>A bit later, the same thing happened (VE5MX).  I ended up entering VA5MX
>and then changing it to VE after the qso was logged.
>
>The contest ended and I was scratcing my head.  I entered VE and it DID
>NOT crash.
>
>What was/is going on here?

Bob,

Sorry, but you did not give any info about how you were running the
program, or the circumstances surrounding the crash other than it occurred
on VE QSOs.  Obviously, NA is not designed to crash on every VE QSO.  I ran
10.52 in both SSB and CW NAQPs and never crashed in about 600 QSOs.  (This
included an unknown number of VEs, but I'd guess a couple dozen on CW and
at least a dozen on SSB.)  This was under DOS 6.22.

Questions:

1) How did it "crash"?  Did it simply lock up, or did it exit back to the
prompt with some sort of error message?  If the latter, what was the error
message?

2) What operating system?

3) How many QSOs in the log?

4) Was AutoCheck turned on?  Was a call database (.DTA file) in use?

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering
datom@contesting.com
http://datom.contesting.com