NA-User

[na-user] Re: .DTA files

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Re: .DTA files
From: Rich Dailey, KA8OKH" <okh.npi@gte.net (Rich Dailey, KA8OKH)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:01:40 +0000
Dave &etc,

Great writeup regarding the master.dta file.  I was (and am) in
awe at the speed at which NA parses through such a file, even
on relatively slow machines, performing the dupe check for highlighting,
etc.  And I always wondered why master.dta was always a mish-mosh
of gobbly-gook in my text viewer -hi.

I recall playing around with a utility that supposedly created .DTA files from
a text file of <cr/lf> delimited callsigns.  I remember trying to use it to
put together
a .DTA file for a few state qso parties,  using .LST files from previous
logs as
input.  I gave up after realizing that I'd have to strip out all duplicate
callsigns, and
(preferrably) put them in alphabetical order.  My "to do" list still
includes a note
to self promising to write a little utility to perform such a function on a
text file.
All this just using my *own* logs.  Heaven help the keepers of the
MASTER.DTA -
having to cull through all the logs and converting, removing dupes,
uniques... Jeesh!
But I'm sure you guys will have the power tools for the job.

FYI-
Don't forget,  NA has the capability to select different .DTA's by using
CALLDATABASE.  Just give the .DTA files different names that you will
recognize (US_VE.DTA, US.DTA, DX_ONLY.DTA, etc), and they will
show up in the list box.

Anyway, I looked all over my hard drives for that little utility, but no fun.
Maybe it's on one of the contest sites somewhere.

Rich, KA8OKH
Somerset, KY

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/