NA-User

[NA-User] Top-Ten/1000MP Bandswitching problem

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] Top-Ten/1000MP Bandswitching problem
From: k8cc@mediaone.net (k8cc)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:24:38 -0500
At 12:41 AM 11/23/01 -0600, Steve Daniel wrote:
>Gentlemen, I can't seem to get 10.53 to follow my radio from band to band.
>I have a cable from the CAT connector on the MP to COM 1 of the computer.
>The CAT indicator is coming on every few seconds so I assume the radio is
>being interrogated by the computer. I made sure the serial port was set to
>4800 baud and even went into "my computer" to make sure the IRQ and
>address were correct. I did notice at that time the speed selected for the
>port was 9600 baud, so I changed it in "my computer" to 4800. The CW
>keying and antenna control are both LPT1. The program sends CW just fine
>and keys the radio with no problem. The LPT1 of the computer is connected
>to J1 connector on the Top-Ten Band Decoder. I assumed that when I change
>bands on the radio the radio would tell the computer via COM 1 and the
>computer would change the antenna via LPT 1 and also move the program
>itself to the new band. That does not happen. Perhaps I have simply done
>something foolish or am overlooking the obvious. Any input will be
>appreciated. Steve, NN4T.

Steve,

First of all, NOTHING that you do in Windows "i.e., in My Computer" will
affect NA.  NA is not a Windows program, so it does not get any of its port
information from Windows.

You are correct in assuming that the fact that the CAT indicator is coming
on every few seconds means the radio is being interrogated.

There seems to be two problems: first, NA does not appear to be following
the band of the radio.  I would go thru and double-check your radio COM
port settings *in NA, not in Windows* and make sure the radio is enabled in
the Equipment Control Panel.  Also, take G3SJJ's suggestion and check your
serial cable.  Does the radio/COM port combination work with other
programs, or could the COM port be at fault?

Second, once you get NA following the band you need to find out why the
decoder doesn't follow NA.  Again, make sure you have the correct port
selected in NA.

Again, I have to remind people that running NA under Windows presents
problems which sometimes defy logic.  I recommend reading N5NJ's article on
CQ-Contest about setting up a computer to run CT under windows.

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering
datom@contesting.com
http://www.datomonline.com