NA-User

[NA-User] XP and W9XT

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] XP and W9XT
From: k8cc@mediaone.net (Dave Pruett)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:16:21 -0500
Darrel,

I'll bet you have a BIOS address problem.  NA can't find any COM or LPT
port which is set for "PnP" in the BIOS setup.  While a W9XT card is not
PnP capable, any other PnP ports might throw off the BIOS when its setting
up the BIOS data table LPT addresses.

A W9XT card set for LPT1 is hard coded to 378hex; when set for LPT2 its
hard coded to 278hex.  If a PnP LPT port gets set to 378hex, you might have
a conflict with the W9XT card.

I'd go into the BIOS setup, set any on-board LPT to LPT1, then set the W9XT
card for LPT2 (278hex).  This combo has always worked for me.

On the other hand, it might be that XP is inserting itself between NA and
the port, and preventing keying from occurring.  I've seen this happen with
every version of Windows since Win95.

Another potential problem - if XP refuses to let NA grab the hardware timer
interrupt, no CW sending will work.

Its at times like this, I love DOS. A $70 surplus P233MMX runs NA just fine
and I don't have these kinds of problems...

Dave/K8CC