NA-User

[NA-User] Computer won't key-Help!

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] Computer won't key-Help!
From: k8cc@comcast.net (David A. Pruett)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:02:01 -0400
Bob,

You also need to check pin 1, which is connected to the emitter of the
keying transistor.  The LPT port completes the keying path to ground for
the keying transistor.  You should measure with a voltmeter from pin 1 to
ground while NA is keying to make sure its working - this should be not
more than a few tenths of a volt DC.

If pin 1 is suspect, try moving the keying transistor emitter from pin 1 to
one of the ground pins (anything from pin 18 thru pin 25.  If it works then
the LPT pin 1 circuitry may be hosed.

OTOH, if the voltage drop across the keying transistor and pin 1 to ground
may simply be too high for your radio.  You can confirm this by taking an
assortment of resistors and finding the highest resistance which will key
the radio.  Measure the voltage drop across the keying line with this
resistance and see if its lower than the voltage across the keying
interface.  If so, you may need a different interface.

If that's the case, I can help you with a different circuit.  One
possibility is to get a fast reed relay (available from Radio Shack,
Digikey and other places) and let the interface key the relay, and the
relay key theradio.

73,

Dave/K8CC