NA-User

[NA-User] radio a/b bit

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] radio a/b bit
From: k8cc@comcast.net (David A. Pruett)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:38:29 -0400
At 08:16 PM 8/15/02 +0000, David Robbins wrote:
>Is there any way to get the radio a/b pin on the parallel port to work
>like ct??  I hate to have to butcher the so2r master that works with ct
>or tr but not na just for this.

For my own personal sanity, I have to make this statement:

In 1996 we published the first schematic for a computer controlled SO2R
box.  I e-mailed K1EA and N6TR in an attempt to commonize the necessary
port signals.  I never got any answer from K1EA.  N6TR's answer was that no
SO2R box was necessary with TRLog because it had separate keying ports
(fine for CW but ignores SSB).  I went ahead and commonized the other LPT
bits with TRLog as my best attempt at standardization.

CT's SO2R bit bounced around between different port pins on LPT1 and LPT2
then finally settled down somewhere.  At some point TRLog decided to
support an SO2R bit and mimic'd CT.  I don't see why these programs could
not have followed the standard which had already been established for
several years.

The other culprit in this is Array Solutions, who produced the SO2R Master
with alleged NA support based on third hand information which turned out to
be wrong.  Now users like Dave Robbins have to modify their boxes just to
make NA work.

If all the SO2R Master users need is the A/B select bit I'm willing provide
a way to support this.  Just tell me what the pin number or bit number is.

I realize that all of this is futile, like trying to nail jello to a
tree.  I'm sorry but it really irks me when NA is made to sound like it's
the oddball when the truth is in this regard it was the leader.

Dave