NA-User

[NA-User] USB to serial/lpt port adapters

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] USB to serial/lpt port adapters
From: n4bp at bellsouth.net (Bob Patten)
Date: Wed Jan 29 16:11:32 2003
Dan Kovatch wrote:

>I am presently attempting to 'meld' two computers and hard  drives and find
>I will run out of  ports and expansion slots (at least the 'oldie' kind that
>my card will fit).
>I wonder wht experiences the users have had in using USB to serial and LPT
>adapters? The machine has several USB ports that are not in use and could
>help if the adapters are worthwhile.

What you need is a Belkin F5U103 to provide a DOS compatible serial port from
your USB port.
It can be configured as any com port number and be assigned an address and IRQ.
I'm using one of these on a new notebook with no serial ports.  It runs NA just
fine using
LPT1 for keyed line and COM1 (Belkin USB/Serial adaptor) for rig control on my
IC-706.  The Belkin also handles an RTTY FSK interface using MMTTY.  CompUSA
and Best Buy stock them...

--
73,     Bob Patten, N4BP                Plantation, FL

E-Mail: n4bp@arrl.net                   Website: http://www.qsl.net/n4bp
QRP ARCI #3412    SOC #1    ARS #799    Whiners #6   FISTS #7871