NA-User

Re: [NA-User] Dxpedition operation QSO summary question

To: Jessica Benny <jbenny@rain.org>,NA Contest Reflector <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [NA-User] Dxpedition operation QSO summary question
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:20:12 -0400
At 09:56 PM 9/18/03 -0700, Jessica Benny wrote:
I am in charge of our recent IOTA expedition XF1K, NA162 logs. Most of the logs were logged using NA Logging w/countries. Others were on paper and entered into an Excel spreadsheet. All logs are now merged into an Excel file.

My question, is there a means using NA or other software that will give us a summary / breakdown of QSOs by Continent, band and mode? I'm thinking that I can get some of this information by combining all the separate .qdf / .sav files then run the NA analysis programs. I don't recall what the analysis yield.

The best way I can see doing this is to type the paper logs into NA, then merge all of the .QDF files together. This results in one big electronic file of all your QSOs.

However, there is a problem. I tried printing out a breakdown from a NA Logging w/countries file and it produced nothing. This surprised me, so I took a look at the code and found the reason.

As it is right now, NA produces breakdowns only for contests with fixed durations. The reason for this is so that the hourly breakdowns (QSOs, points, mults) don't explode and produce outrageously large breakdown files. For example, the file I'm testing with is called "DAY2DAY" and it holds my non-contest QSOs. While this is not a terribly large file, it extends back to 1989. Can you imagine a QSO breakdown file, by hour, would look like for the past fourteen years? :-)

Based on Ray's report, I've gone in and changed how the reports are written. Hour-by-hour breakdowns are only compiled when the contest duration is non-zero (i.e., it really is a contest). However, the QSOs-by-continent breakdown is now written for non-contests as well. The QSO-per-country breakdown already works for non-contests. These changes will appear with NA 10.60 which will be released in a week or two after some testing and cleanup. Ray, if you take my suggestion and put together one big .QDF file, I'll send you a beta copy to try out.

73,

Dave/K8CC