NA-User

RE: [NA-User] NA clock and XP system clock

To: "'NA Mail list'" <NA-USER@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: RE: [NA-User] NA clock and XP system clock
From: "K9TM" <k9tm@buckeye-express.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:53:15 -0500
NA is a DOS program, not a Windows program.

Both of these topics have been covered here before.  Please search the
archive for the exact technical discussions that have taken place in the
past.

Briefly and hopefully correctly stated:
1) XP does not allow a program to directly control its ports.  Most DOS
programs directly controlled the ports as using BIOS and other methods were
too slow or did not offer all the functionality that was required.  That is
why NA runs on 95,98,Me and not on XP, 2000, NT.

2) If I remember correctly, it only loses time when the cw-keyer is enabled.
This comes back to NA using the tick timer to chain out a routine to do the
cw sending.  For whatever reason, in XP that screws up the time/date clock.

Dual booting is an option.  There are many options but the bottom line is to
run from a real DOS prompt.

Hope that helps.

73 Tim K9TM