[Orion] RE: SSB Bandwidth, readability, power, etc.

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] RE: SSB Bandwidth, readability, power, etc.
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:29:17 -0500
K3NA wrote:
  Outside of the question of intelligibility, if one makes ones signal
narrower (e.g., 1800 Hz vs 2500 Hz), does one invite
adjacent stations to encroach on ones transmit frequency?  Would encroachment
increase difficulties when trying to copy other weak
stations?

        Possibly, but most encroachment on USB comes from the
lower side (and vice versa for LSB), since stations tend to call lower
than your USB TX frequency.  I doubt reduced bandwidth is a factor in
encroachment from the upper side which would be most affected by
wider bandwidth.  I have much worse problems from the lower side
when in USB than I do from the upper side.  I hope you understand
what I mean!

73, Bill W4ZV