[Orion] Re: [orion565] Adjusting Orion STEP's

To: orion565@yahoogroups.com, <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Re: [orion565] Adjusting Orion STEP's
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:51:41 -0600
> Thus, STEP size is a property of each VFO, not of each receiver. The
> STEP size is adjusted per VFO depending on whether the RX or the
SUB
> RX button is selected (led is lit). If RX is selected, STEP size for
> VFO A is adjusted.  If SUB RX is selected, STEP size for VFO B is
> adjusted.

You're absolutely right about that.  The manual is incorrect on this point
unless I overlooked a clarification in there somewhere.

On the other hand, you can assign both receivers to one VFO.  It does
make sense that parameters like mode, bandwidth, etc. could be
different, but putting both receivers on one VFO and then trying to assign
different STEP sizes per receiver would be impossible ...

Although I admit that that is a special case which could be accounted for
by forcing both MAIN and SUB step sizes to be the same if the receivers
are selected to the same VFO.  But then which one has precedence if
they are different, and if you split receivers again, what STEP size would
each receiver inherit?  The cynic says that no matter what T-T decided on
these points, someone would be unhappy :-)

I think it largely makes sense the way it is  (i.g., STEP size as a VFO and
not receiver parameter).   But the documentation needs to be fixed in any
case, since it can get to be a brain twister depending on how VFOs and
receivers are assigned.

Grant/NQ5T