[Orion] Couple of questions

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Couple of questions
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:29:46 -0500
N5TW wrote:
>The second question concerns protection for the RX antenna input. I'm
using a Front End Saver that opens up the RX antenna and grounds the radio side during transmit as a protection and this is needed on most radios.
QSK would work better without this - anyone know if the Orion has any
protection on the RX side during transmit that would allow me to disconnect
the Front End Saver?

Tom, since you already have the Front End Saver, I would definitely use
it. I do believe ON4UN had some problems with RF feedback via his RX port. I don't know what is inside Orion but why take chances if your system is working OK?

I do not have one on my Orion but I always use an external preamp which
I've used successfully for years with other radios (TS-930S and
FT-1000MP) with no problems.  I admit I was very nervous the first time
I fired up on 160!

73, Bill W4ZV