Re: [Orion] ORION RF FAULT ISSUES? TT PLEASE READ!

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] ORION RF FAULT ISSUES? TT PLEASE READ!
From: "Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales" <sales@tentec.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:37:36 -0500
At 03:18 PM 12/15/03 -0500, you wrote:
OK, I would like some immediate input from Ten-Tec on this!
I have an ORION here , close to the 30 day evaluation timeout.

There has been issues reported lately that don't look like SW download fixes
will take care of?
I don't have a Linear yet, but planning on getting a Centurion soon.  So I
will be running power soon.

I would have not expected to have to worry about this kind of thing with a
$3600. state of the art TT TCVR.

N0UU reported running an amplifier and with his beam pointed back at the shack was able to make a couple of LED's flicker on the Orion on voice peaks. I can certainly see how that would be possible.

I remember the first 10 meter contest I did at W4AN and being warned to
not point the 5/5 stack SE, back at the radio room.  The one time I did this,
I knew it immediately when the (non-Ten-Tec) transceiver I was using shut
itself off, the amplifier faulted and the PC with the logging program all
crashed simultaneously....lesson learned.

There are plenty of people running the Orion at 1500 watts with gain
transmit antennas that don't have any issue with getting RF back into the
radio. There are any number of probable causes that can lead to issues
like this. Proximity to transmitting antennas and inadequate RF ground are
merely the beginning of a list of possibilities. Every installation is unique.

I like this ORION, but, We need much more involvement by TT on these issues
being reported. If these are HW design issues... what will we do?

Have they all ben reported? If so........Ten-Tec PLEASE RESPOND TO OUR ISSUES ASAP!

Lee, KC9CDT

73 Scott Robbins, W4PA Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec, Inc.

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4. Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs. Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
Email: New product sales/product info sales@tentec.com
Service department service@tentec.com
While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
more complete answer to your inquiries. Thanks!