[Orion] Orion keying

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Orion keying
From: "bob" <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:42:39 -0500
I too had a "keying failure" on my Orion.  When sending a string of dahs the
output falls off and comes back up again.  It was somewhat visible on the ALC
indidcator, but was very obvious when viewed on an analog watt meter.  My Orion
worked fine from early November 2003 right up until sometime last week, when
the problem really manifested itself. After completely eliminating any external
problems, I packed the Orion up and it should arrive at Ten Tec today for them
to take a look.

In attempting to trouble shoot this problem Ten Tec and I discovered a firmware
bug.  I use two amplifiers, both of them are Ten Tec 425's with full QSK.  We
discovered that both amplifiers must be set in Orion menus to keying loop on or
keying loop off.  If you want to use one each way, then keying loop 1 must be
off and keying loop 2 must be on.  The other way around does not work.  This is
with release 1.367.  73 bob de w9ge