Re: Fw: [Orion] Orion control with RigBlaster Pro?

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Fw: [Orion] Orion control with RigBlaster Pro?
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:53:14 -0500
Tom,

I think my setup is OK now, at least for the time being. The RigBlaster Pro has two audio output options that seem to make sense. Without a schematic (or enough patience to trace the circuit), I can't tell if one is more isolated than the other. The "Speaker output" is high level and the "Microphone" is naturally low level. I can't see a major difference between them in terms of grounding problems in my setup.

I ended up using the Microphone output. Had to sacrifice a perfectly good CAT5 cable to get the right connector! The output level is rather low to drive the Orion AUX input, but it is OK if I have my sound card set to max output (almost 4 volts p-p) and the AUX gain at 100. Running at max probably gives best SNR.

I did some hum/noise checks using Orion's monitor output (nice!) and with the Transmitter disabled (nice again!). With my limited measurement ability, noise and hum are down by > 25 db from the normal audio level.

The Orion seems to give good results on my PSKmeter, even up to full power, much better than my old TS-520S. I am not sure why this should be, but I won't argue. (I will have to buy that fan!) So, level setting is non-critical, at least until the sound card starts clipping.

One area where I wish the Orion had more capability is in measuring/visualizing the audio output (waveform, level measurement, spectrum, zero beat detection, etc.) Also, the audio input - what is the actual input voltage/waveform? The real estate and horsepower are there in the spectrum display area. Some day, maybe.

Cheers, Martin