Re: [Orion] Raspy Receive CW Note Problem Solved

To: Richard Detweiler <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Raspy Receive CW Note Problem Solved
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:57:36 -0500
Rich, thanks for your confirmation that this is a known problem and that a master reset eliminates it. BTW, the problem resurfaced last night about 60 minutes after I had tried the reset. I have not connected the behavior with any particular mode or function being on. I have only used the Orion on CW so far. I do use the sweep. I noticed that the received signals did indeed seem poor and the band (40M) sounded very noisy last night. I wasn't sure whether it was the RX or the band was lousy. (Unfortunately, about three days after I received the Orion, my 1000MP lost its audio and I had no way of comparing the two.) I didn't notice any lettering as you describe and I never lost TX function, but I'll be checking things again this morning.

Up to this point, the unit had been working well and I had been fine tuning parameters according to the manual and Sinisa's and Yuri's suggestions. I actually thought the September revision to the manual was pretty good. I notice that Sinisa's and the manual's "all purpose" AGC recommendations differ, but I'll be comparing them more thoroughly as I get to understand the AGC parameters better and become more familiar with the rig.

Thanks for your help.

73, Joe

Richard Detweiler wrote:

Joe,

Glad you got your Orion, I think you'll come to really love it. It's the best thing going today for RX performance.

The problem you found seems to be a common problem many of us are seeing.

When this happens, if you can, try to record all you can and send it into ditnbits. It may not be all that practical, but we all try.

It may or may not be a microcode problem, don't have an answer to that yet.

I'm seeing a couple of different symptoms,

1) the RX just gets poor, signal is there but weak and distorted., No display changes all controlls seem to work, I just master reset and go on.

2) The RX Stops No Signal, static though, and TX stops, there is the lettering "DSP T/O 0" next to the send 2 key on the screen. Again, master reset, and back on the air.

These happen at inopportune times, I've tried to keep the sweep off as it reduces the number of occurances. Yet I've had it happen even with the sweep off. It may be related to the PC polling the rig.

73's Rich K5SF