[Orion] Sherwood's test of the Orion

To: "Orion Reflector" <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Sherwood's test of the Orion
From: "Charlie, W0YG" <w0yg@myawai.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:59:15 -0000
This morning I lent my Orion to Rob Sherwood, NC0B, of Drake fame, to run it
through its paces with his exacting tests.  Not that other test are not
exacting but Rob further tests at 2KHz and 1KHz spacing.  I briefly talked
to Rob on the phone just now and find an anomoly in the noise floor.  The
phase noise is worse at 60 KHz spacing than at close in spacing, 1 KHz.  Not
sure why this is but it is nevertheless.

Some of his test results are as follows:

Dynamic Range Test

100 KHz Spacing   20 KHz Spacing   5 KHz Spacing    2 KHz Spacing   1 KHz
Spacing
86.5dB                    85dBw/20 filter      79dBw/20           79dBw/20
Not ready
                                94dBw/6 filter        94dBw/6
85dBw/6
                                96dBw/2.4             95dBw/2.4
89dBw/2.4
                                96dBw/1.8             95dBw/1.8
93dBw/1.8
                                96dBw/1.0             94dBw/1.0
93dBw/1.0
                                81dBw/500            81dBw/500
75dBw/500
                                81dBw/250                *
*

Rob indicates the gain on the 500 and 250 Hz filters is so high that the
noise floor increases considerably and degrades the performance of the
receiver so he isn't really testing thoroughly with those selections.
Perhaps TenTec and modify their radio either through a software upgrade of
with hardware to increase the usefulness of these two tighter filter
selections although I have indeed used them to my advantage.

This is just a partial test and one that will be posted and fully written
about on Rob's web site, www.sherweng.com.  Not sure when it will be posted
but shortly for sure.

Interesting stuff.  Rob fells comfortable with what he is finding.  As a
matter of fact, he likes what he is finding in most cases (250 and 500 Hz
filters aside).  Perhaps that 600 Hz filter W4ZV is proposing will further
tighten the operating specs as discussed before.

I really feel handicapped without my Orion.  Even though it will only be
gone for a day, operating with another radio seems a large step down from
what I have grown used to.  The Orion continues to amaze me with its
capabilities and I am suffering withdrawal symptoms at the moment!

Folks, I am just the messenger.  Remember to not shoot the messenger.  All
he is doing is sharing some interesting information from another party with
the group!

73,

Chalrie, W0YG..>>