Re: [Orion] Re: [1000mp] Mark v compared to the Orion + Enhanced S/Nat N

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] Re: [1000mp] Mark v compared to the Orion + Enhanced S/Nat Narro...
From: HeathlinerSB@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:31:08 EDT

> OK, Chas.? I already commented to an earlier respondent with a similar
> opinion, but I wanted to mention a couple more things things.
>
> I have installed all of the available roofing filters in my Orion.?
> There was an article several years ago in QST about enhancing S/N ratio
> by using narrow filter selectivity and adjustment of RF gain.? I had
> been using both of those techniques for many years, but had never heard
> a reasoned, technical explanation for why it works.? On the other hand,
> I have read comments from other competent, experienced hams that have
> said that the article was essentially "hooey."? Despite their comments,
> I cannot be emphatic enough when I tell you that I can bring weak CW
> signals strikingly out of the mud by merely cranking down on the BW
> control on the Orion.? The effect is quite dramatic.? (I should also add
> I can usually obtain similar performance from the MP, but it requires
> utilizing both narrow selectivity, RF gain adjustment and the audio DSP.)
>
> I am also comparing the Orion NR performance against a JPS NIR-12 on the
> audio output.? There is no doubt that the Dynamic Peak feature on the
> NIR-12 improves S/N and copyability even when the Orion's NR is
> activated.? You may want to hang on to your outboard audio DSP unit, if
> you have one.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing other comments on these observations.
>
> 73, Joe

Hello to the Orion-group!
I try to write down my opinion in simple english.
Changed from 1000MP (not Mark V) to IC-756 Pro II and never missed the 1000MP
yet.
Now i have also the Orion in the shack with all original filters. Orion
outperforms the Pro II
under heavy QRM-conditions sure. Work almost CW and with strong EU-pile on
40m 2 or 3kc apart from weak dx the receiver shows no "bad influence".
But if i work really weak dx, example on 20m via north-pole from DL to
pacific area, i find that signals are much clearer and better to read with the
ProII. It is not the sensitivity, i believe. I think, it is the kind, how dsp
works
under extremely weak and fluttered signals on the pole-propagation. The
signal to noise is for my ears better with the Pro II.
Tried several adjustments? with the agc controls of the Orion, but i still
believe, that copying weak CW is easier on the ProII. Also on 80m with high
noise level and weak signals.
So, my conclusion is, if you have QRM, the Orion is the performer, but i
hope, that one of the next firmware-updates improves a bit the reception of
weak,
fluttered signals just above the noise level.
Best regards to all and 73 de Randolf, DL6KAI