[Orion] Re: [1000mp] Mark v compared to the Orion + EnhancedS/N at Narr

To: orion@contesting.com, HeathlinerSB@aol.com
Subject: [Orion] Re: [1000mp] Mark v compared to the Orion + EnhancedS/N at Narro...
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:15:55 -0400
DL6KAI wrote:
>So, my conclusion is, if you have QRM, the Orion is the performer, but i
hope, that one of the next firmware-updates improves a bit the reception of weak,
fluttered signals just above the noise level.

Hi Randolf,

        I would probably agree with your QRM conclusion
although I don't have the Pro2 to compare.  IMD and
BDR measurement differences confirm what you are
observing regarding QRM.

        Orion is a little tricky to learn to use for
signals right at the noise floor.  The AGC in
particular must be set correctly or you will have
problems.  I would strongly advise anyone interested
in optimizing Orion's weak signal performance to
read Sinisa/YT1NT's excellent paper here:

http://www.geocities.com/va3ttn/UsingOrionRX.pdf

Pay special attention to his AGC Adjustments on Page 4.
After you correctly set the Threshold, his recommendations
for Decay of ~5 dB/S and Hang from 0.30-1.00 are especially
useful for VERY weak signals.  I had discovered that Threshold
needed to be set dramatically higher on the low bands, but
I did not realize the dramatic effect Decay and Hang have on
weak signals until I read Sinisa's excellent paper above.

        I've had my Orion 8 months and continue to learn new
things about it almost every day.

73, Bill W4ZV