Re: [Orion] desk microphone ??

To: WB3LGC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] desk microphone ??
From: Ralph Irish <w8roi@peoplepc.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:21:30 -0400
I got the Studio One mike when I ordered the ORION and although
I don't get into DX pileups, I do get the occasional compliment on
the good audio, without any solicitations.  I don't have the SSB
bandwidth 'extra wide', and am satisfied with the 1.8 to 2.6 I
usually use on RECEIVE, and have not experimented with different
SSB Transmit bandwidths.

I have played around with the audio specs on transmit, with respect
to equalizing, but have made no conclusions as to which combination
gives the best results.

I also have a Heil headset/boom mike, and I occasionally swap off
the Ten Tec hand mike from another rig.  They all seem to do an above
average job, and I can't differentiate how much credit goes to the
ORION and how much goes to the mikes.

The next major change in the shack will be to get some acoustical
tiles for the walls and ceiling to deaden the room and let the mike
and various settings alone determine performance, with no artifacts
from the physical surroundings.

73,

Ralph - W8ROI