[Orion] Re: N4PY Orion version 1.10B

To: Carl Moreschi <n4py@earthlink.net>
Subject: [Orion] Re: N4PY Orion version 1.10B
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:54:27 -0400
OK, Carl. That's the way I understand the operation of the converter in conjunction with the Orion. I have copied Paul at tenTec on this so that they are aware of the problem.

Paul, you will see from the correspondence below that I am using the Orion with a DEMI 6M converter. I have hooked it up in accordance with the instructions on p.43 of your latest manual. All is working well except the output power is not variable either directly through the Orion or through N4PY's software. At 100% PWR setting, I get full output. At any setting less than 100%, I get zero. Is there a firmware problem here?

73, Joe

Carl Moreschi wrote:

Joe,

When you select the RX Ant with my software and the Orion shows Ant1 and RX
ant for "Main RX/TX", this means the main receiver is connected to the rx
ant and the transmitter is connected to Ant 1.  This is normal and the way
the Orion shows this.  Because you have selected the transverter output
already, no output will come out of Ant 1 from the transmitter.

The only problem I see is a firmware bug that prevents mid range power from
coming out the transverter output.  This may actually be a documentation
error with no ability to actually adjust this output.  I don't know what the
real hardware capability is in the Orion.

73,

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC