[Orion] Orion in CQWW SSB - 40m carriers

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Orion in CQWW SSB - 40m carriers
From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:30:07 -0500
I was happy with my Orion, too, in the contest on the higher
bands.  However,I again noted that my OMNI VI+ is much superior
for working 40m ssb.  The autonotch in the OMNI VI+ totally
elimates the carriers.  The autonotch in the  Orion does not.
I guess this is because the autonotch in the OMNI VI+ works at
baseband audio, where even 40dB suppression gets it all
(there isn't 40dB of audio dynamic range).  But, I'm
guessing that the autonotch in the Orion is done at IF;
with nearly 100dB of rf dynamic range, a 60 dB notch
still leaves the carrier 40dB above the noise floor.
So the interfering carrier is still very loud compared
to the desired ham signals.   After a few minutes, I gave
up on the Orion and stayed with the OMNI VI+ for the
low bands this weekend.  Fortunately, the carriers are
not an issue for the upcoming CW weekend.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9