Re: [Orion] Orion "hiss"

To: <Orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion "hiss"
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 07:56:41 -0600
Asked about:

"...To me over a period of time on cw using
headphones this background noise is fatiguing. I wonder if this is the
root
of some of the "noisy receiver" complaints that appear from time to
time.
Has anyone else noticed this?...(etc.)"

Of course,

First off, headphones vary GREATLY in sensitivity. My Sony MDR V900's
have lots of that stuff you mentioned. I built an attenuator for them
(stereo 500 ohm pot) with a simple L-C passive audio bandpass filter
included in the unit. Now the Sony's sound absolutely perfect--no hiss,
no thumps, no thuds in QSK.

73,   Roy    K6XK