[Orion] Torx T10 driver for Orion

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Torx T10 driver for Orion
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:08:17 -0700
I installed a new Inrad #762 600 Hz roofing filter in my Orion today (in the
1000 Hz slot, as suggested by W4ZV).  In case you're planning on opening up
your Orion you'll need a Torx T10 driver for the small screws on the back
lip of the cover.  I happened to have a cheap set of drivers for my electric
drill/screwdriver, so I was OK.

My initial impression of the #762 filter is excellent; I don't expect to buy
any more roofing filters.   If I get reinterested in phone contesting, maybe
I'll get the 1800, but I'm expecting that the 600 will be fine for CW
DXing/contesting and RTTY too.

BTW, I glanced at the FTDX9000D and Contest radios at Visalia.  The twin
scopes on the D (band and received signal, I think) were very impressive, as
was the multitude of knobs.  The Orion loses the knob competition (or wins,
depending the scoring assumption), but it wins the roofing filter contest.
It will be interesting to read the QST reviews on the new Yaesus.

Jim N7US