Re: [Orion] 3 PPM freq stability

To: Henry Pfizenmayer <pfizenmayer@worldnet.att.net>,orion <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] 3 PPM freq stability
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:43:20 -0400
Hank,

I report my results and method at
http://www.aa6e.net/aa6e/blog/comments.html#freq . I figure that my
Orion oscillator is 4 Hz high at 10 MHz, about 0.4 ppm off.  I haven't
tracked it over extended periods.  That would be interesting.

Your result is 1.9 ppm off at 10 MHz, still within spec.  Except for
2.5 MHz, your results all scale well (same ppm offset).  That's what
I'd expect if all frequencies are based on a single TCXO.
Propagation effects can fool you, and they are worst at 2.5 MHz.

One of my suggestions for a future Orion is to provide a TCXO tweak
adjustment in the menus.  That would let everybody get down to +/- 1
ppm at least.  If you want to be really elegant, provide  a zero beat
tuning indicator (or beat frequency counter) on the LCD screen.  Very
little hardware required.

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net