Re: [Orion] O2 versus Orion

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Orion] O2 versus Orion
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:09:45 -0500

Martin, AA6E wrote

>eOrion's accuracy and stability are good, but none too high, IMO.  This
>shows up in netting accuracy at the higher freqs.  Of course, 95% of
>rigs out there are worse.  The new IC-7000 has a much better spec:
>+/- 0.5 ppm vs Orion's +/- 3 ppm.  Probably cost them a couple of
>bucks more.  The IC-7800 claims +/-.05 ppm 0-50C "after warmup", for a
>price.

"Zero beating" by ear is not going to get you any closer.  Beside you
are not zero beating but matching tones.  Zero beating is another
concept entirely.

I use my Orion to chase dx, not measure frequency with precision.  If I
want to measure frequency accurately I will use an accurately calibrated
piece of test equipment.  A couple hundred hertz off is no big deal as
long as you never transmit too close to the band edge.

Some of us seem to want to make the Orion stand on its head and do
cartwheels.  Me, I'm happy the receiver is superb. 73 bob de w9ge