Re: [Orion] [orion565] new firmware

To: <orion565@yahoogroups.com>, <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] [orion565] new firmware
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:43:05 -0500
> v2.033 posted for Orion II addressing:
>
> Increased level of rear panel line output Fixed TUNE serial
> port command.
> Modified Speech Processor gain limits.
> Modified Transmit Gain Control for voice modes.
> Modified the scaling, interpolators and coefficients for the
> Transmit EQ controls.
> Increased Tx level in SSB mode.

That's probably all well and good.

However, the basic transmit frequency response has not been altered
substantively in 2.033.  The low frequency control in the SSB menu indicates
50-300 Hz.  I checked the actual range just a couple of minutes ago (hoping
for good numbers), but it measures at about +/- 200-400 Hz at -6dBu.  So
none of this TX EQ tweaking has taken care of the basic issue with reduced
low end response in II/v2, or the fact that the MENU item for this bears no
relationship to reality.

Also, MON is still broken in AM mode.  It was broken when the II was first
released.  After eight update releases it remains broken.

Grant/NQ5T