Re: [Orion] Orion II Speech Processor

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion II Speech Processor
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 19:53:59 -0700
First off, make sure you are using the latest firmware, since there was a
significant improvement in the SP in 2.037j.  Also, as another poster
pointed out, the mic gain setting is a factor, and that is effected by the
output of the mic, your voice loudness and the setting of the hidden mic
input adjustment, accessible through the small hole in the underside of the
radio near the mic connector.

That being said, there does seem to be a lingering firmware problem that has
not yet been addressed by TT involving the interaction between the hardware
and software ALC's.  It seems to me that the software over reacts to the
input levels and pulls back the system gain before the hardware ALC can get
a good level.  While this may be good to prevent key clicks on CW, it
reduces the effective drive in SSB.  The instantaneous peak drive is right
up where it ought to be, but the signal does not seem to have the good,
solid compression effect of most ALCs we have seen in the past resulting in
what looks like low output level.

I hope this is an area that Ten Tec's folks will look at in the near future,
since it seems to come up often.

         Ron N6IE
      www.N6IE.com