Re: [Orion] Hash noise OrionII

To: "'Mike Bragassa'" <bragassa@consolidated.net>, <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Hash noise OrionII
From: "Larry Menzel" <retire@means.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 11:41:54 -0600
Hi, Mike.

I'm going to assume that you're running the latest firmware for the radio,
and that you did a master reset after loading the latest version.  If not,
that would certainly be my first suggestion.  I had a little issue a while
ago where my QSK was not functioning correctly with my Alpha 91B and an
update brought it all back to perfect again, so I know that this can
sometimes fix a whole lot of little things.  Sometimes just reloading the
current version can help.  Be sure to do a master reset (push and hold
MainRX while turning on the radio). So, a couple questions:

1. How high is your RF gain turned up?  If it's over 75 it's too high.  Are
you using the preamp?  Sometimes the combination of preamp and too much rf
gain can cause your speakers/phones to distort.

2.  What are your AGC settings adjusted for?  As you know there are 4
different selections available, and if these have been set incorrectly or
something has altered them, that may be a problem with your "hash" noise as
well. I find the programmable nature of the AGC response on the Orion II to
be one of the best features of the radio.  If you want some additional
information on how I set mine up, I'll be glad to provide those for you.

3.  If your screen is blanking on transmit, it's tied to the voltage/current
needed by the radio to operate properly.  Make sure that your power supply
is working correctly, and that your Orion is connected directly to the power
supply and not through a power strip or other device that could limit both
current and voltage.  I have my Orion connected to a 30 amp Astron and it's
solid all the time.  Install power poles or other direct connection devices
to ensure solid contact with the power supply terminals.

Good luck.  The Orion II is still the best value for the dollar IMHO, and
works flawlessly for a lot of us.  I'm sure it will for you as well.