Propagation

[Propagation] Aurora-mode Propagation Reported

To: Propagation <PSC.Committee@rsgb.org.uk>(PSC),propagation <propagation@contesting.com>,"PropNET-Online@yahoogroups.com" <PropNET-Online@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Propagation] Aurora-mode Propagation Reported
From: "NW7US, Tomas" <nw7us@hfradio.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:04:39 -0800
I am receiving reports on Radio AU detected in North America. The solar wind speed is elevated, and the interplantary magnetic field (IMF) is oriented southward (negative Bz). I am anticipating the arrival of two coronal mass ejections, and perhaps we have already seen the passage of the leading edge of the first one. We are also in the midst of a proton storm.

Many forecasters are predicting very strong geomagnetic storminess starting tonight, and lasting through the 17th and into the 18th. This will most certainly trigger AU mode propagation. Please send reports to me, if possible, as I would like to track this for reporting later.

For those of you interested, I have two pages that would be helpful for watching the actual space weather and geomagnetic activity levels, as well as the Aurora active at a given time.

These are:

http://hfradio.org/visual_propagation.html

http://hfradio.org/aurora.html

Thanks, and good luck!

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US (AAR0JA/AAA0WA)

: Propagation Editor for CQ, CQ VHF, Popular Communications :
: Creator; live propagation center http://prop.hfradio.org/ :
: Associate Member of Propagation Studies Committee of RSGB :
: US Army Miltary Affiliate Radio Service (MARS) SMD AAA0WA :
: 122.93W 47.67N / Brinnon, Washington USA CN87 CW/SSB/DIGI :
: Website/software/database design http://newwebmakers.com/ :
: 10x56526, FISTS 7055, FISTS NW 57, Lighthouse Society 144 :