RFI

[RFI] Low pass filters

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Low pass filters
From: Robert Brandon <rbrandon@austin.ibm.com> (Robert Brandon)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:27:54 -0600
To: <rfi@contesting.com>
>Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 14:11:21 -0800
>From: John Kjos <KB9RPM@centuryinter.net>
>Subject: [RFI] Filters

>Any suggestions for Low pas filters for HF.I am setting up a shack and
>want to have them installed at the start.Thanks John KB9RPM

Good idea on installing low pass filters right away.  I looked at
several models and  they all have about the same specs.  I ended up with
a couple of Drakes and they seem to work fine.  I've had much more
success, however, working on the other end, that is, adding high pass
filters and chokes to the TV, stereo, etc.  (Still, it's P.C. to do what
you can at the xmtr end.)

One thing to keep in mind with low pass filters is to keep the jumper
between the transmitter and filter as short as possible -- you don't
want the jumper to be any kind of antenna for harmonics.  I use a double
male PL-259 and a right angle adapter to plug it right into the back of
the rig. Rig a physical support for the filter so as not to torque the
connections and you're all set.  GL and 73,
Robert K5PI

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html