RFI

[RFI] Dennis Catalano's problems

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Dennis Catalano's problems
From: James L. Keyes" <jkeyes@mtnhome.com (James L. Keyes)
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 09:44:09 -0600
Some thoughts:
1) Radio Shack TV/FM amps are just broadband amps with little protection
from primary overload. Usually just a crude pi filter for hi-pass.I have
found that cable TV grade Channel Master and Jerrold are better
engineered [more expensive, too!]
2) Wasn't there, now it is... Usually a good sign that there is a bad
joint with corrosion in it, creating a diode rectifier/reradiator. One
of you may be the "proud" owner of a TV Translator station! Antenna
maintenance is pretty well neglected by hams and unknown to the rest of
the folks, but corrosion is a constant enemy of antennas and reception.
I've even read of a chain link fence which did this!
You may have to sleuth it like the powerline stories in this issue.
Main rule: Only change one thing at a time. Don't get impatient and do a
whole lot of things or you'll be out in the next snowstorm doing it all
over again!
Good luck,
Jim Keyes, WA1TQG

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html