RFI

[RFI] Lamps and RF

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Lamps and RF
From: tduffy <tduffy@sygnet.com> (tduffy)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 08:32:55 -0700
--------------2CA46DDA42061317A65AB532

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 08:09:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: owner-rfi@contesting.com
To: owner-rfi@contesting.com
Subject: BOUNCE rfi@contesting.com:  taboo header: /^cc:\s*.+/i

>From k3lr  Tue Apr  7 08:09:44 1998
To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Date:       7 Apr 98 07:47:17 EDT
From: ADixon1@mobile.bam.com
Subject:    re: [RFI] Touch lamps going crazy
To: bryan@prodistributors.com
cc: rfi@contesting.com

Bryan-  You will probably get all kinds of good advice on how to
technically restore you touch lamp's functionality in the presence of high
RF.  ...Something about placing a ferrite choke on the yellow lead coming
off the lamp's board... but don't quote me on that.  Better look it up for
yourself.  I like George, K0IW's answer...  get rid of them!  But here is a
simple, foolproof solution, which requires little expense, no engineering,
will allow the touch function, and the lamps will NEVER come on while you
are XMITing...  Put a "hard" switch in the power line.  That's right, a
good old fashioned mechanical switch.  Since these lamps are built into a
credenza, you may be able to mount some type of switch into the side panel.

I don't understand why touch lamps are so popular... It's not as if it was
some type of remote control, like the "Clapper", which I suspect would be
less vulnerable to RFI!  There is nothing like a hard switch that
physically disconnects.  Why do designers so often overlook the obvious?

73 de Alan Dixon, N3HOE
n3hoe@juno.com
-------------
Original Text
From: C=US/A=INTERNET/DDA=ID/bryan(a)prodistributors.com, on 4/6/98 18:11:
                Well, we got new furniture last week and the new
credenza that went in the bedroom has a pair of touch
operated lamps built into it.  Really handy, all you
have to do is just touch the control and they go
low-med-high and then off.

        Problem is that each I time I hit key the mike
or key on  the TS-940 the lights go low-med-high off, low-med-
high-off, and sequence repeats itself with each voice
peak or every sequence on the keyer.  Not to neat when you are
calling the H40 at 2:30 in the morning and the lights are
flashing like crazy in the bedroom.

        OK guru's....how about a fix for flashing lights??

Bryan W5KFT

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html