RFI

[RFI] More noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] More noise
From: Tim Duffy <tduffy@sygnet.com> (Tim Duffy)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:14:41 -0800
--------------F2869D989FCB2716D4232046

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:27:05 -0500 (EST)
From: owner-rfi@contesting.com
To: owner-rfi@contesting.com
Subject: BOUNCE rfi@contesting.com:  taboo header: /^cc:\s*.+/i

>From k3lr  Thu Jan 28 11:27:01 1999
To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:25:35 -0400
From: Jim Idelson <jimi@designet.com>
Subject: re[2]: [RFI] re: Mystery Noise
To: "Mike A. King" <scsueepe@mtcnet.net>
cc: RFI Reflector <rfi@contesting.com>

Mike,

Basically, the idea is to listen for the noise using AM detection and a
directional antenna. The noise is likely to be stronger at lower
frequencies,
so you start listening there. As you get closer to the source, the
signal
gets so strong that you can't DF it any more. So, you listen at a
higher
frequency where the signal strength is lower. People seem to agree that
small yagi or DF loop connected to a portable shortwave/VHF receiver is
a good combination. Some suggest an aircraft band receiver. Others say
you can use a 2m HT or a small portable TV for the VHF receiver.

I think all this stuff is described pretty well in the RFI Handbook
from the
ARRL. Good luck. Be subtle. Don't forget to bring your sledge hammer
and explosives.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Just been reading the mail on this one...hehe, I loved your responces.
(#3
and #4)

Anyway, I have a similar situation where I have no idea where the S9
noise
is coming from, intermittant in nature.  The noise seems to have very
quick
spikes that last a millisecond at a time for a few minuts before it
turns on
full blast for minuts at a time, then it is gone.  I really believe
that it
is not coming from within my QTH.  Also, all our power lines, CATV and
Telephone lines are underground in town here, so I am ruling out that
one
except lighting poles and the HID metal halid or high pressure sodium
lamps.

It never used to effect me on 10M, so I really did not worry about it
because that is where I mainly operated.  It did seem to effect 15, 20,
40,
etc, but the noise blankers on my FT1000MP did a fairly good job.

Well, now with the noise on 10M, I am really concerned.  The MP is not
real mobile rig, so driving that thing around town to hunt the noise
was not
a good solution.  I have purchased a FT847 for the UHF and VHF
capability, I
guess I will use that rig for tracking around town, hope that helps me
out.
Hate to think I got that thing just for tracking noise.....

In lieu of that, I was wondering what kind of good advice you received
on
direction finding, antennas etc.  I am going to have to go that route
apparently.  If you have the time, I would appreciate it if could give
me
the skinny....

Take care and good luck to you sir.

Mike - KM0T