RFI

[RFI] 1500 Watts vs. Radio Shack Amplified Antenna

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 1500 Watts vs. Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
From: WBH3@daimlerchrysler.com (WBH3@daimlerchrysler.com)
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 13:34:52 -0400
My neighbor who lives 55 feet away from me has a Radio Shack Amplified Antenna.
This thing looks like a real big Frisbee.....it is round and has a wide band
amplifier built into the housing.  No problem  with my Icom 765 running 120
watts, but when I turn on the L-4 B, I obviously totally wipe him out.
Personally, I don't think there is any possible way I can prevent this from
happening.  I don't know how wide the pre-amp is but it most probably picks up
20 meters.  So.....with a TV signal in the microvolts being mixed with a 10 thru
20 meter signal in the 1000+ watts range being mixed together in the pre amp,
there isn't any doubt in my mind what gets presented to the TV set.  I really do
not see any hope for this situation.  I cannot get to the preamp and I don't
really think  putting a high pass filter at the TV set will do any good either.

I of course am using a low pass filter.  I haven't tried lowering my power from
the L-4B lower than about 700 watts and I still cause problems. Other than
offering to buy him a cable TV installation, does anyone have any suggestions
how to handle this situation?

Thanks,

Bill  WX8S
wbh3@daimlerchrysler.com