RFI

[RFI] Lights flicker

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Lights flicker
From: Blackburn <blackburn@qnet.com> (Blackburn)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:31:12 -0700
Eric,

How much power are you running, and how is the AC power feed to your
station configured?  The first thing to check is whether or not your
station is drawing enough current on transmit to cause a voltage drop in
the AC supply wiring.  It only takes a small change in voltage (a volt or
two) to to cause noticeable brightness fluctuations in incandescent
lights.  Peaks on SSB are much shorter than the key-down intervals on CW
and in my experience don't produce nearly as much flicker.  The fix, of
course, is a separate circuit to feed the radio, or at least the
amplifier.

For what it's worth, a ground rod 12 feet from your station is not likely
to be a good RF reference at HF, but then again, there isn't necessarily
any need to have an RF reference to the physical earth to avoid RFI.
There are tons of urban legends, folklore, and just plain wrong
information floating around the ham community about grounds, what they do,
and how they work, but thats a whole 'nother subject.

Keith,
KB6B