RFI

[RFI] Mystery buzz 1.7 to 2.0 MHz

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Mystery buzz 1.7 to 2.0 MHz
From: John Kaufmann <kaufmann@ll.mit.edu> (John Kaufmann)
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 22:42:13 -0500
I had a similar problem develop suddenly a few years back, although it
affected 80 meters rather than 160.   After some DF'ing with a portable
radio and making some inquiries, I discovered a neighbor had installed a
wireless alarm system that was emitting garbage on the band.  The neighbor
was actually quite embarassed about this when I showed him how the portable
radio was picking it up.  He called the alarm installer who confirmed that
the system was prone to RFI generation in "rare" cases.  The installer
removed the system and installed a different one which was clean, all at
his own expense.

73, John W1FV

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html