RFI

[RFI] RFI Troubles - touch lamps

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI Troubles - touch lamps
From: EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com (EDWARDS, EDDIE J)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:01:56 -0600
> Pete Ferrand wrote:
> So then, what is the received wisdom on how best to "stimulate" (or, to
> keep
> it legal, detect and confirm) a noisy touch lamp at some distance using
> the
> ham transmitter?

        By stimulate, if you mean activate or turn on & off, I've been able
to do so using all modes, i.e. CW, SSB, FM, etc.  But not all lamps that
make noise will be easily activated by a typical ham station.  I've also
found lamps that were not making any noise that were easily activated and
some only at certain freqs (here's a good reason to keep detailed logs so
you can determine, based on a neighbor's complaint, what freq you were on
when you made the lamp "go crazy" in the middle of the night).  I've also
triggered these lamps with a low power 2-meter hand-held at very close
proximity like a couple of feet.  This helps the owner understand that it is
malfunctioning when it even picks up a simple walkie-talkie.

> Also, does their HF noise sound different if it's on or off?

        I haven't ever detected any difference except for freq shifts on
some of them.  The only difference I've noticed is they're quieter when
unplugged ;^).

        73,
        de ed -K0iL

--