RFI

[RFI] Tracking down 80M QRN

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Tracking down 80M QRN
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 06:42:35 -0500
on 7/8/01 3:19 PM, Dana Roode at K6NR@ARRL.net wrote:

> I have a strong S9+ noise on 80m and 160m at my remote QTH in the desert
> near Victorville, Ca.  Im not out there all the time, so its been tough
> tracking it down.  There are 2.5 acre parcels and just a few houses in the
> immediate area, so you wouldnt think it would be that hard.  The noise
> sounds like something arcing irregularly.  I can hear it a bit on 20m and
> up, but its not bad.  I can't peak it on my tribander, but it gets weaker
> when the beam is pointed West to South.  There is no definite null.

It sounds to me like something is arcing on your power lines.  Do you have
overhead wires nearby or in the vicinity?  If one of the insulators is
arcing, this is the type of symptom you'll have.  I've had similar symptoms
twice.

I doubt it's something from a neighbor.  So it's probably in your house or
the power lines.  If you turn off all power in your house (at the breaker
box) and you still hear the noise on your portable RX, then it's probably
power lines.  You'll need to call your power company and have them come out
and look for bad arrestors, insulators, etc.

Good luck es 73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden