RFI

[RFI] RFI LOG Electrical - Living by the Ocean

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI LOG Electrical - Living by the Ocean
From: wb3fsr@home.com (Peter D. Vouvounas)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:53:34 -0400
Fellow HAMS -  Yes it's long - So far this is what I've been through trying
to resolve the dreaded electrical noise problems in my area.

I'm open to any suggestions / methods etc.

73

PeterV [REN] WB3FSR

PT Pleasant/ Brick New Jersey

Now who said they wanted to live an operate HF by the OCEAN!  It has it's
price.

Electrical Noise LOG WB3FSR

1.)
JC 3231         412 Midstream's                         V Bad
JC 3294        Meridian                         V Bad
6/21/01 Inspected W/ Mr. Kit OdoX GPU noise level down at this time ~ 1330
Hrs MatXXy did hear elevated noise before 1200 Hrs but couldn?t identify
specific pole or source at this time!!!
2.)
JC 3283 Area of Bellavista & Esplanade  V Bad
JC 3245                                                 V Bad
6/21/01 Inspected W/ Mr. Kit OdoX GPU identified JC240 using ultra sonic ?
arching bad brown insulators
3.)
JC 2258 Arrowhead                                           Bad
Open issue
4.)
BT 1994                                                 Intermittent Burst
C MatXXy & I found on 6/20/01 via my Jeep radio @ 1700Khz tree limbs &
leaves burnt & hanging over HV lines
5.)
BT 2250 Loc ???
Kit OdoX & I found on 6/20/01 via my Jeep radio @ 1700Khz

 Mr. James BeXXne  - Passed on to Mr. Chip MatXXy as of 6/18/01 1554Hrs ?
Called Chip left VM  6/18/01 2204Hrs more poles ID?d Still no call back
6/19/01 1500 ? 1515 Called Customer Svc Spoke with Supervisor Laura BednXXr
(hub K3TEJ) she is escalating!
Comm Tech Sr. T&EM
GPU Electric
Larrabee
Toms River, NJ

800-662-31xx    Office 800  Press 9,4,0,#,1
732-367-25xx    Fax
732-370-72xx Office

Mr. Kit OdoX of GPU called my cell phone 0826 Hrs 6/20/01
He received call from control center to contact me and had not heard from
Jim B. of GPU as he had promised me on Monday 6/18/01.  I advised Kit that I
would be home by 1200 Hrs this date and would like him to stop by to review
the interference with me. He agreed.

6/20/01 1230 Hrs
Kit OdoX arrived ? I demonstrated noise levels on 14, 18, 21, 24 & 28 MHz.
HF Bands ? condition of noise at this time was moderate compared to earlier
highs ~ S2 ? S9 vs. S2- 10db over S9

Offered to assist and he agreed ? started inspection in GPU van.

Conditions: Paving work by county in progress starting at Meridian Dr. and
extending ~ six blocks towards Rt88 Chip indicated that he could not get to
the poles in this area and I suggested how we could get around the
obstructions.

The GPU van in major disarray ? GPU using commercial RX unidentified MFG. ?
portable wide range approx. 500 kHz ? 1 GHz or greater.  Unit had not been
charged for 2 weeks ? used cigarette lighter plug ? Operations very poor,
very high noise levels generated intermittently inside of vehicle i.e.
ignition noise, alternator whine, unit appeared to randomly shut down.  Kit
did not appear to be very knowledgeable of it full operation i.e. spinning
knob hundreds of MHz at a time ? calling UHF / HF.

Antenna described by Kit as VHF on roof of van looked more like an 800 MHz
cellular ant.

I would be surprised if one would be able to identify any interference with
the possible exception of MAJOR RAW noise utilizing this arrangement.

Kit demonstrated an ultrasonic parabolic dish with amplifier/headphones,
which was useful in identifying one particular pole.  He went on to say that
this method only works for some types of arching.

After about an hour in his van I suggested that we take my Jeep use my
digital car radio tuned to 1700 kHz and his ultrasonic. He agreed.  We then
proceeded to my earlier detected locations and demonstrated noise conditions
to him.  He was only able to ID Bellavista & Esplanade pole JC240 with his
ultrasonic unit.  As a result of diverting around road construction we
observed other noise locations & tree/limb destruction from HV lines.

Next we drove into the area of K2VVF?s location near RT. 88 & Midstream's
where we observed substantial electrical noise ? Kit tried to located pole
among about a span of 10 poles but could not at this time. He said that he
would need to come back and use higher frequency rx detection to pin point
the offending pole/equip.

Next steps: Contacted Kit this morning 1016 Hrs 6/21/01 requested update ?
indicated that he was within a couple of blocks of my home reconfirming
noise and poles ? would report identified issues to the line department by
1200 beyond that he had no clue when anything would be done by the other GPU
department.

I next plan to perform a complete drive of the area w/map in an attempt to
identify any other possible noise sources and then escalate within GPU for
status & correction.

Ed Pinter experiencing very high noise levels at his location
K2VVF 308 Midstream's Rd HM# 732-892-7xxx

Kit OdoX Cell Phone number 908-216-8xxx
Kit OdoX Ofc/shop number 732-695-5xxx w/vm normally not in ofc

6/21/01 1300Hrs ? 1730Hrs

Mapped & Performed complete drive test of the community,  found the
following additional:

BT 2280 & JC3384 Lights on during the day ? may indicate noise generating /
faulty detector

JC 3298 Tree limbs/leaves on HV lines small noise source
JC 6665 Tree limbs/leaves on HV lines small noise source
JC 3364 Tree limbs/leaves on HV lines small noise source

BT 5315 Medium noise level

BT 225 Tree limbs/leaves on HV lines small noise source also located on
6/20/01

JC 5293 Very High noise level (This may be the source location that Chip
tried to identify on 6/20/01 Tested with wide coverage receiver

JC 2392 Vloud

JC 3307 Noise

Intersection of Meridian Dr. & Stratford Dr. noise in evening very loud.

6/21/01 2000 Hrs
Left message on Mr.Kit OdoX  voice mail with additional information above.
Requested that on 6/22/01 Kit set-up a conf call with the supervisor of the
line department & me to outline the process and status update for resolution
of these problems.

As of 6/28/01 Rcvd no call back from anyone at GPU nor any acknowledgement
from Mr. Kit OdoX re: my VM & earlier requests.

Attempted to contact NOC Supervisor Laura BednXXr @ 1045Hrs 6/28/01 left
msg. req. call back

Spoke with Mrs. Laura BednXXr  mid afternoon ? faxed copy of my rpt ? ref
name incorrect in my rpt ? learned on 7/2/01 that Mr. Kit OdoX was GPU rep
sent out to meet with me not Mr. Chip MatXXy!

Kit?s name & number supplied ; left VM?s starting on 6/28/01 with no
callbacks.

7/2/01 Reached Kit on Tuesday 7/3/01  0810 Hrs? He advised that he turned
information over to Marylyn Blaxxe in Pt. Pleasant office 732-370-7xxx and
to call her for status.  Also he indicated that he found defective lightning
arrestor within three blocks pole number BT 2256 and reported it.  I
requested that he email me a copy of his rpt, which has just arrived ? will
review before my call with Ms. Blake. Kit also reviewed my last findings to
confirm he had received them.

7/02/01 0845 Hrs Called Ms. Bake rx VM she is out of ofc passed to Monica no
info passed then to Bob DoughXXy 732-370-7xxx !!!!  Lot of info; Due to
storms over weekend, crews recovering he will have crews late this week or
worst case start of next week and call me with schedule.

7/10/01 0800 Hrs Called Bob DoughXXXy rcvd VM stating that he would be out
of OFC until 16th ? He supplied two new numbers in his VM

732-370-7xxx
732-901-2xxx

Called 370-7xxx ? lady answered and indicated that supervisor is Owxxn
passed me to his VM ? left msg for call back 0815 Hrs

Called 7/13/01 ? Spoke with Monica ? She checked on status of crews an
advised that they expect to be out this Monday but need police escort as no
room to pull off road.

7/16/01 ? GPU crew working on pole at Midstream's & Meridian intersection
installed new support guy from intersection to my electrical pole and
removed top guy wire by drive way.  Changed out insulators on corner pole.
Observed substantial improvement in noise during the next two days provided
one of the crafts people my list of noise sources in the community ? he
commented that communications rep is normally with them when they come out
and was surprised that no on was with them now. Indicated that they would be
working on this between priority situations.

7/24/01 Called Bob DoughXX  370-7xxx Direct 901-2xxx , 370-7xxx , 7xxxx?,
370-7xxx? Marylyn BlXXe for status what has been done and what is left to
do ? he advised that e tried to call me but must have wrong number ?
provided both numbers and he will call later today with status when crew
returns.

7/29/01 Called Bob D asked for update indicated that all except for one
location not near me worked ? will provide details by end of week

8/01/01 Called left VM for Kit, Noise still present around my intersection ?
Cap bank between here and 88 on Midstream's still noisy ? lot?s of noise on
88 & Midstream's both directions

8/27/01 Tried to get update several times since 8/01/01 from Bob D ? too
busy each time I called over the past 3-4 weeks and advised that he would
call me back ? He has not

8/27/01  1055Hrs Left detailed VM again requesting status phone call and
email with report of what has been done , what is left to do and next steps

Reported by:
Mr. Peter D. Vouvounas
98 Meridian Drive
Brick, New Jersey 08724