RFI

[RFI] Laptop Car Adapter Power Supplies

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Laptop Car Adapter Power Supplies
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com (Jimk8mr@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:32:29 EST
For my mobile contest operations in the past few years I have been powering
my laptop with an 12VDC to 110VAC inverter that runs the usual 110VAC power
supply.  Not surprisingly, the inverter can be a major RF noise generator.

Does anyone have RFI experience with the 12 volt car adapter power supplies
for laptops?  Are they quieter than the typical 12-110VAC inverters?  Are
there differences between models? Any other issues relevant to using them in
the presence of 100 watts of HF RF a few feet away?

Tnx & 73,

Jim   K8MR