RFI

[RFI] Ignition Noise - '93 Ford Explorer

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Ignition Noise - '93 Ford Explorer
From: wa2bpe@exotrope.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:20:34 -0500
Gentlmen:

I often use the broadcast band for (initially) sniffing out power line
problems listening on ~700 or 1700 KHz and have considerable ignition
noise problems which will mask the sought after power line noise.  No,
the vehicle has *not* been worked on to enhance suppression.  Oh, for a
Diesel at times like these!

Briefly, the other day, while listening to ~700 KHz (and the racket), I
turned on the parking (or main) lights.  Immediately, the noise dropped
by a (guestimated) 10-20 dB - and could be repeated at will.  I have a
hunch as to what's going on, but thought I'd toss this out and see what
others have to say first.

Ideas, please.

73,

Tom - WA2BPE