RFI

[RFI] Power line RFI situation

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Power line RFI situation
From: wa2bpe@exotrope.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:14:35 -0500
Hi Rob,

"...goes away when it snows or rains..." - hardware, hardware, hardware - 95+%
of the time.

This is a very common problem with feeders and loose or corroded connections or
the mounting hardware.  Yes, it can be fixed but expect to uncover the problems
in "layers", i.e., you will eliminate one or more only to find others that were
being masked.  I do my initial locating by DFing using a 6m beam then pull out
the topo map and try to locate the problem(s) first using the AM broadcast
band.  I then switch to an AM aircraft rcvr; you're using a small beam is vy
good.  Be aware and observe that different sources frequently have different
"signatures" and that because of the various (complex) resonant structures, you
are likely to find nulls in the frequency spectrum.   Corona, BTW, from 100KV
and up lines will almost always get worse with rain, etc.  Corona is usually a
"hiss" as opposed to the stacatto of lower voltage spans.

Expect "officials" to initially ignore you - unfortunately, many have little
knowledge or experience and it is always easier to pass the buck.  The real key
is to be able to talk directly with a troubleshooter that is willing to work
with you, and if you can actually locate affected poles, it does wonders at
establishing credibility.  This can be a frustrating effort, but it usually
works better in the long run than going immediately to a Public Service
Commission or the FCC - but sometimes is necessary,

There are quite a few very capable people (including a few EMI professionals) on
this reflector who will be more than willing to try to help.

BTW, the ARRL book is good, but buy also a copy of "AC Power Interference
Manual" by Marv Loftness - ISBN: 0-0653760-2-8  .

Keep us informed; this issue is a problem almost all of us have.

73,  Tom - WA2BPE