RFI

[RFI] 2002, Ford 4.6L V8 RFI, Need Help

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 2002, Ford 4.6L V8 RFI, Need Help
From: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com (dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:52:01 -0500
Bill and Paul,

Just a few quick comments:

1. Tinned braid has the advantage of the tin protecting the copper.
Weather elements affect bare copper quickly, and even tinned braid may have
to be replaced after just 2 or 3 years in some environments.  (See comment
#4, below.)

2.  I order to meet current standards, many modern vehicles already have
the hood bonded with braid to the main chassis body.  My 1995 Grand Caravan
has such bonding.

3.  Stripping braid out of old coax takes effort.  Tinned braid is
available new at reasonable cost form various vendors.  Check out Nemal
Electronics as one source.  Also, many industrial electronics companies
carry braid in stock, in various sizes.  Sometimes they carry small spools
of 25 feet, which would be just about right for this application.

4.  I had great success years ago with grounding the exhaust of a 1973
Dodge van.  That really made the HW-101 mobile rig happy.  I used stainless
steel hose clamps as you suggest, Bill, but the environment under there was
so bad (midwest in winter) that I had to replace the straps about every 6
months.  As I recall, I had to place straps at 3 different points of the
rather lengthy exhaust pipe to get all bands quiet.

Best luck, Paul.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

Bill Turner <w7ti@dslextreme.com>@contesting.com on 10/08/2002 09:55:58 AM