RFI

[RFI] DVD/TVI interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] DVD/TVI interference
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:19:15 +0000
It's true that it's pretty hard to convince people that their equipment may
be the real source of their troubles.  All they know is there was no trouble
before; now there is and you are transmitting.  The solution to them:  stop
transmitting.  That's why it is extremely important to go somewhat on the
offensive right from the beginning by politely and civilly stating that your
station meets your country's regulating authority's emission standards (you
can phrase it in some way that doesn't sound bureaucratized) and offer to
help them with *their* problem.  State in an even tone of voice that not
transmitting is unacceptable; that that's like solving the problem by having
them not watch tv or their DVD player or whatever.  If they flip out and
loose their tempers simply end the conversation by telling them you won't
deal with them until they can calm down.  Establish that as a ground rule by
always walking away if things become nasty.  If they reject your offer to
help (it happens) then they have a problem but it is no longer yours.  Of
course, it is extremely important to make sure your station is in fact clean
by rfi proofing your own house.  That way you can turn on your tv, radio,
stereo etc., and invite them to look at the tv while you make a test
transmission so they have proof that you are not the disaster they think you
are.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com

P.s.  Even if you don't have to, keep a station log.  I had a complaint not
too long ago in which I was charged with wiping out a tv bowling tournament
a few nights earlier.  A check of the station log proved that on the night
in question I wasn't even on the air the whole evening (wasn't even at
home).  Yes, bowling was on tv.  don't know which channel.