RFI

[RFI] 160 Meter RFI Help Needed

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 160 Meter RFI Help Needed
From: G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sun Jan 26 17:46:25 2003
  wrote:
>Hi folks.  I have a problem with RFI on 160 meters.  I just put up a 1/4 wave
>sloper on my 65" Rohn 45 tower at the 35' level.  It is fed directly to an
>Ameritron switch-box at the base of the tower.  I have a C3E, CC D3W and
>yagis for six, two, 222, 432 and 1.2 on the tower as well as a Diamond
>vertical and inverted vee for 80/40.  So, the HF stuff all goes through the
>switch box.  The UHF/VHF goes direct to the shack in my attic via 7/8" to
>1/2" Andrew Heliax.  Tower is grounded with an eight foot rod on one leg.  It
>hasn't been up very long.  I get NO RFI of any sort on any other bands, even
>when using amp.
>
>The 160 meter sloper is getting into the two control panels on my home
>security system.  Anything over about 30 watts causes the "beep" in the two
>panels to "beep."  You should hear CW.  I am guessing and a friend is telling
>me that the RF is coming down the outside of one of my pieces of
>coax??????????
>
>I don't even have a clue where to start.

Sure you do - you've identified that you need some clues! So go and get
some...

Build or buy a clip-on RF current probe, and use it all around your
system. When you actually *know* where the unwanted currents are
flowing, and how big they are, you'll be very close to solving the
problem.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'